Physical fitness and mental health are deeply interconnected. Research shows that regular exercise positively impacts your mental well-being. It reduces stress, anxiety, and depression while enhancing your mood and cognitive function. But, there can be too much of a good thing, and balancing different aspects of overall health is key to reaping long-term benefits.

How to Find a Balance Between Fitness, Health, and Mental Health.

#1 Take Time to Plan

Many people delay starting a healthy fitness routine due to events, holidays, and nerves. There will never be a perfect time to start; you will always encounter these obstacles. The key lies in planning!

You don't have to clear your schedule to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. Plan your workouts and schedule a designated meal prep day each week. Put them on your calendar and allocate specific time slots to achieve your goals. The feeling that you are in control of your life and the confidence that comes with sticking with your commitments improves body and mind wellness.

#2 Grow Your Learning

Collect knowledge bit by bit and improve your training techniques, nutrition, lifestyle, and mindset. You can find valuable material on WAG’s YouTube channel or check out some of our favorite mindset-building books. If you live outside of the US, you may be unable to access YouTube TV. If this is the case, bypass location restrictions via VPN. This way, you can collect more practical knowledge about fitness rather than advertising slogans that only drive people into unrealistic frameworks.

 #3 Learn to Say “No”

“Just say no” is easier said than done. Worrying about others' opinions is common—do your best to stick to your goals and prioritize what is important to you. You understand your body, your limitations, and what you need to do to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Saying “no” takes practice, but it opens up room for more “yeses”—yes to calm, rest, recovery, and more!

#4 Analyze Your Current Point in Your Path

Set aside time once a week to reflect on what is working and identify areas for improvement. Then, choose one or two actions or habits to focus on at a time. WAG Coaches check in with their clients each week to help guide them in adjusting habits, routines, expectations, food choices, and more!

#5 Make an Effort to Maintain Positive Emotions

Engage in activities that promote a calm mind and enhance focus. You can try journal writing to reflect on your day or practice meditation to alleviate stress and boost mental and physical health. Prioritize positive emotions over negative ones. This is a conscious effort. You should think less, directly force yourself to think less about the bad, and remember the good. The more you practice this, the easier and more natural it feels.

#6 Create a Personal Priorities List

To achieve balance in your life, start by establishing your priorities. Craft a list of your top five priorities and put it where you can easily see it—on your bathroom mirror, refrigerator, or in a note on your phone. This will assist you in redirecting your energy in a positive manner. You may observe that a significant portion of your time is devoted to lower-priority matters, which can be physically draining and lead to unwarranted stress.

#7 Make Time for Rest and Fun

When attending social events or enjoying an indulgent dinner date with a loved one, embrace the experience without guilt. Instead, incorporate it into your routine and plan ahead. While excessive indulgence can hinder progress, adopting an 80/20 lifestyle can help you achieve the desired results. Invest 80% of your efforts into staying on track and dedicate the remaining 20% to planned treat meals or rest days without any sense of guilt.

#8 Use the Power of Choice

You have the power to live life to its fullest. Take control and prioritize your time and health. Opt for change in pursuit of optimal wellness. The outcome is not dictated by circumstances but by your response. Write, display, and speak aloud every morning: "I choose to live life to the fullest!" 

#9 Maintain a Healthy Diet

The food you eat directly impacts your workouts, body composition, and your mental state. Opting for mostly whole, nutritious foods is one of the best ways to improve your overall health. A WAG Coach can help you incorporate healthy eating (and mindset) practices in an easy, sustainable way.

Balancing your life can help you change your psychological state—take it one day (and tip) at a time, and as you build confidence, routine, and consistency, the results will show for themselves!