- 500 ml Carton Swanson Chicken or Beef Broth (any broth alternative, especially Asian style broths like Swanson Thai Ginger Infused are even more flavor packed)
- 1 cup water
- Fresh ginger or ginger powder to taste
- Fresh garlic or garlic powder to taste
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- Whole onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. coriander seed
- Fresh coriander, cilantro, basil or mint to serve
- Fresh green vegetables e.g. broccoli, mushrooms, carrots (optional)
- Vietnamese rice noodles, dry (optional) - however much noodles you can fit in your macros!
- 400 g thinly sliced beef, chicken or rare roast beef deli meat
Being short on time or macros can leave you either eating something bland and boring or being tempted to make a poor food choice in favor of preferred taste.
Having a low macro, high volume and easy to heat option ready when you need it is an absolute lifesaver.
This fully customizable WAG version of a traditional Vietnamese specialty is designed to be prepared, frozen and pulled out when you need it - although making it fresh doesn’t take long either! If you don’t have many carbs left leave out the Vietnamese rice noodles and enjoy this tasty, nourishing, Asian inspired soup with a squeeze of lime!
The macros for this dish are based off of a rare roast beef. Macros will change if you choose chicken or deli meat.
- In a large pot, bring broth and water to a simmer.
- Add soy sauce, fish sauce, coriander seed, ginger and garlic.
- Add onions and thinly sliced meat (you can add this raw but if you choose to cook it beforehand or buy it pre-cooked, add it towards the end so that it does not overcook).
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until meat is cooked through to your liking.
- Add vegetables to the pot for 1 minute before taking the broth off the heat, so that the vegetables will lose their crunch.
- Take off of the heat and cool down. Divide into portions and freeze down.