Who said chicken breast had to be boring? This chicken fajita recipe packs a punch of flavor while keeping it lean and mean. Put it on salads, sandwiches, a burrito bowl — you name it!
- 500g Boneless skinless chicken breast
- 400g Red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 400g Green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 400g White onion, thinly sliced
- 125g Canned crushed tomato
- 200g Tomato, diced
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Chili powder
- ½ tsp. Cumin powder
- ½ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice peppers and onion thinly, lengthwise. They should be approximately 1/2 cm thick.
- In a large pan, caramelize onions until they are golden brown. This step is important to add some serious flavor!
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker, layer caramelized onion, peppers, diced tomato, tomato sauce, spices and enough water to just cover the chicken.
- Cook for approximately 4-5 hours on medium until you can easily shred the chicken with two forks.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.