- 1 small, long delicata squash
- 40 grams cream cheese of choice (this recipe uses fat-free cream cheese), softened to room temperature
- Fresh basil leaves
This appetizer is SO easy, simple to track, vegetarian-friendly and only 7 carbs per serving! I’m guilty of making these as a grazing snack for myself.
Get creative with other add-ons like fresh salmon, more spices or even mixing some other small, chopped vegetables into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Cut the squash lengthways and use a small spoon to scrape across the middle to remove all seeds.
- Then, cut the squash sideways to create about 4 small, 3/4 inch wide wedges. The amount of wedges you end up with will depend on the length of your squash size.
- Place the squash on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Break up your basil leaves and mix them in a bowl with the cream cheese. Leave the cream cheese mixture out while the squash is baking so it softens, making it easy to spread into the squash.
- Once ready, remove the squash from the oven and let it cool long enough for you to be able to handle them.
- Using a spoon, add a small dollop of cream cheese into each wedge of squash.
- Serve immediately for a warm appetizer, or refrigerate for later. If you choose to refrigerate, make sure you take them out of 10-15 minutes before serving so that they reach room temperature.
Follow up your low carb-appetizer with a low-carb meal, like our Softshell Zucchini Tacos.