- 450 g / 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey breast
- 450 g / 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 90 g diced red onion
- 150 g green bell pepper
- 150 g zucchini
- 150 g breadcrumbs
- 35 g egg whites (1 egg worth of egg white)
- 2 tsp of your favorite dried and/or fresh herbs
- 1 tsp fresh garlic or 1 tbsp garlic powder (Reserve a little for the ketchup)
I know what you’re thinking...what is summer meatloaf? Well, meatloaf is a pretty warming, hearty meal, but with a few summer-inspired ingredients like red onion, green bell peppers, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini, you’ve got the perfect summer dish. Having the al-a-carte ingredients on hand make this recipe quick and easy.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. If you’re using a pressure cooker or Instant Pot, get it out and ready to use!
- Have two 8 x 3 1/2" loaf pans ready. If you're using a 6-quart pressure cooker or Instant Pot, use aluminum foil loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients for the meatloaf. Use clean hands to massage the ingredients thoroughly. You don’t need a lot of egg or oil for this dish because the pre-cooked ingredients make the meal so moist!
- Separate your mix evenly into two and pat down into each tray firmly.
- Bake for one hour in the oven or pressure cook/Instant Pot for 20-25 minutes on high pressure, with ¾ cup of water in the bottom of the pot.
- While it's cooking, prepare the ketchup. Heat a small saucepan to low and add the tomato paste, cherry tomatoes, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. As the sauce starts to simmer, use a wooden spoon to carefully burst the tomatoes and mix with the tomato paste. Once the sauce starts to bubble, remove from heat. Reheat on stove top or in a microwave when you're ready to serve. Spread sauce over both loaves.
* Remaining garlic or garlic powder
* 225 g tomato paste
* 225 g cherry tomatoes
* Salt and pepper
For a side salad: Combine baby spinach and yellow squash (macros not included). If you're cooking one loaf at a time, you can wrap one uncooked and freeze! Save half the sauce for another day.
Serve with a side of baby spinach and yellow squash!