- 30 g (2 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 g onion, chopped
- 400 g celery, chopped
- 272 g chicken or turkey sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb stale whole-grain bread, cubed*
- 200 g / 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
It’s time to get creative and use your apples for a winter dish that doesn’t involve pie! Sweeten up your usual stuffing recipe by adding apples and sausage to the mixture for an added dose of protein.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add celery and onion and stir until softened (about 8–10 minutes).
- Add sausage, poultry seasoning, pepper and salt to the pan. Stir until sausage is cooked just through and you can’t see any raw sausage (roughly 7–8 minutes).
- Transfer to a large slow cooker, set to high. Add remaining ingredients: bread, apple, and broth. Stir, cover and cook for 2 hours.
For this recipe, I used Bilinski’s Chicken, Spinach and Fennel Sausage.
Other brands that work great: Trader Joe’s Chicken Breakfast Sausage, Bilinski Organic Chicken Sausage, Papa Cantella’s Italian Turkey Sausage. Using ground turkey or chicken will work as well!
*This recipe is a great opportunity to use some old bread! But if you use fresh bread, then lightly toast by baking at 275 F for 25–30 minutes, then let it cool before cutting and cubing.
Find this and other great recipes in our Holiday Guide!