No need to pass on the pasta tonight. By replacing high carb noodles with thinly sliced zucchini, you can still enjoy that hearty meal while keeping your goals in mind. Makes 6 servings. 3 Fibre
Grilling the noodles first is very important to the consistency of the noodles once cooked as it removes all unwanted moisture and ensures a noodle-like texture
Cheese can be substituted for other types e.g. Goat
- 650g Zucchini
- 550g Lean Ground Turkey
- 63g Egg Whites
- 190g Sweet Onion
- Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 100% Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Basil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a saucepan, cook turkey fully and season with salt. Drain to remove excess liquids once cooked.
- In the same pan, add garlic and onions and cook for about two minutes, until the onions are transparent.
- Return the turkey to the pan and add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer on low for 30 mins for the sauce to thicken.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/8 inch think noodles (Using a mandoline made this much easier!)
- Add salt to the noodles and set aside. This will draw out excess moisture. Blot with a paper towel after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg whites. Set aside
- After the moisture has been removed from the noodles, grill each noodle for about 2 minutes per side, slightly browning them
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- In a casserole dish, spread about 1/3 of the turkey sauce evenly on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread the ricotta mixture over the noodles and repeat the process until all ingredients are used up.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 mins
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 mins
- Slice into 6 sections and serve!