Traveling for business or pleasure doesn’t have to mean giving up all of your at-home routines. Typically when you go on vacation, you’re staying at either a resort or a hotel. Armed with the usual bag of clothes, passport and credit cards, you’re ready to relax and unwind in our new surroundings.
However, if maintaining your nutrition (and your sanity) is a priority while traveling, making space in your suitcase for some extra goodies to prepare snacks and meals, and to maintain some level of routine might not be a bad idea!
Below are some of our favorite essential items for your suitcase to help you stay on track, and enjoy your vacation with minimal hassle and inconvenience:
- Freezer / Zip lock bags - Have these on hand to pack your snacks for the day, save a little food from breakfast, or half of the decadent cookie you just couldn’t resist sampling!
- BYO cutlery - While eating with your bare hands can be fine for some meals, others will require a little assistance. Avoid the pain of blunt cutlery, or having to wait for the server to show up with a set and pack your own!
- Travel scale / Body weight scale - Whether it be your bathroom scale, food scale or a specific travel scale, these usually slide easily into your carry on, or the bottom of your suitcase. Bringing these bad boys with can help you keep an eye on your progress, and makes it easy to practice precision for a number of meals even if they are only in the hotel room!
- Hard to find or surplus snacks on hand - Dry goods such as crackers, rice cakes, salmon and tuna are great to pack and will save you from spending unnecessary time and money shopping!
- Personal Cooler - Whether it be the hotel, the motel or by the pool - this is a great item to have with you! Keeping foods cool offers flexibility in terms of options you can take on the go.
- Cutting board, Knife & Plastic Containers - These items are essential yet can be an added unnecessary expense if you buy them on the go! Travel hack - pack your toiletries in them or roll up your undies and stuff them. Take along your own or stop by the dollar store to pick up a cheap set to help prep and store your meals while you are on the go!
- BYO water bottle or cup - It can be hard to remember to drink water when you’re on the go. To ensure you’re meeting your water target take your trusty bottle or cup from work. This will help to ensure you stay hydrated and energized for the whole trip.
- Dish cloth and detergent - If you’re cooking and preparing in your room, then you’re going to need to keep your counter tops clean, and avoid having stinky Tupperware. No one wants to sleep in a dirty hotel room.
Vacation is a time to relax and unwind. By simply packing some of your own staple items, not only do you set yourself up for success, but you avoid spending unnecessary money and time on items you already own at home!