Sushi ingredients usually are simple, single macro sources that are easy to separate and track. For example, a classic sushi roll looks like this:
Fish = pure protein
Rice = pure carbs
Mayonnaise = pure fat
Avocado = pure fat
Cucumber = pure carb
Soy sauce/hot sauce/pickles = calorie free
Rolling sushi is a skill often best left to the experts (at least in my opinion) but it’s still super easy to recreate the macros and flavors of this dish at home...just bowl it!
MEGA PLUS: This is a crazy easy dish to prepare in bulk and meal prep for the week!
- 45 g Uncooked white rice
- 15 g Mayonnaise (sub canola or low fat)
- Optional: 60 g 0% yogurt to mix with the mayonnaise if you like it extra moist but want to keep fat down
- Real Crab meat (this recipe uses 60 g but you can use as much or as little as you'd like)
- 5 g Spring onions, thinly sliced
- 20 g Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Optional: Avocado quarter, diced (recipe does not include avocado in the macros)
- Sriracha or hot sauce to taste
- Soy sauce to serve
- Boil or steam rice, drain and pat dry. Add to serving bowl.
- Drain crab meat and place in a separate bowl. Mix in mayonnaise, optional yogurt and Sriracha or hot sauce. Empty your crab mixture on top of your cooked rice.
- Add cucumber, onion, optional avocado and any other toppings you want. Pickled ginger is a delicious addition!