For those of us that aren't blessed with year round warm weather, the return of the sun means it's time for barbecue season. Barbecues can be a macro dream or disaster- we whipped together a quick guide to making the next cookout you attend a success, and shared a few of our own macro-friendly backyard favourites.
1. Cut the fats. Choose leaner cuts of meats for your protein. Hold the cheese, and oily marinades. If you're looking to pack in some flavour, try out low sodium spice blends, or make your own. We have some examples below!
2. Bring you own booze substitute. There are lots of other refreshing options other than cracking open a beer. Seltzer water with a citrus twist or La Croix will help keep you hydrated while saving room for your delicious meal.
3. Be condiment savvy. Cream based dressings, ketchups, mayo and classic barbecue sauces are chocked full of carbs and fat. Stick to mustards, low calorie hot sauce and reduced sugar ketchup for your meats. Dress up salads with lemon, apple cider or balsamic vinegar.
4. Offer to bring a dish to the party. Having a side-dish or lighter dessert option available is a great way to enjoy the night while having a 'go-to' food if options are lacking. Every host appreciates a gracious guest, and it's one less thing for them to look after!
5. Don't be shy to scan as you go. One benefit of the more casual backyard feast is that bottles, bags and boxes are often part of the self serve set up. If you need to scan in a serving of crackers or double check the content on a salad dressing - go for it!
Here’s a look at some of our favourite macro-friendly BBQ options: