Sticking to Your Nutrition Plan When You Do Shift Work
Anyone who does shift work (especially overnight shifts!) knows it’s tough to stick to a nutrition program.
Your schedule is constantly changing, your colleagues want to order fast food, and you’re barely getting enough sleep!
In our latest episode of the podcast, you’ll meet Heather. She works three consecutive overnight shifts (while attending nursing school). She’s reached out to Adee for help: she wants to stick to her nutrition plan (including tracking her macros), but it’s extremely challenging with her schedule.
On this live coaching call, Adee helps Heather see that it’s critical to adjust your expectations for nutrition depending on your situation and circumstances. It may not make sense for Heather to eat the same way on days she works compared to days off.
Adee also helps Heather ensure she’s got an optimal sleep routine — essential for anyone doing shift work!
If you or someone close to you does shift work and struggles with their nutrition, you won’t want to miss this episode!
We would love to hear from you! If you have a question you want us to answer on the podcast, let us know by leaving a voicemail at workingagainstgravity.com/podcast. And don’t forget to follow along @workingagainstgravity on Instagram.
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released?
- Click here to subscribe in iTunes! (https://apple.co/2Y4Qn7h)
- Spotify (https://spoti.fi/3gU2Tz4)
- Stitcher (https://bit.ly/3eQR0Ir)
Also, podcast reviews are pretty darn important to iTunes (and other platforms). The more reviews we receive, the more likely we’ll be to get this podcast and message in front of more people (something about iTunes algorithms?).
We’d be extremely grateful if you left a review letting us know your favorite part of this episode!
- 01:20 – Adee gets to know Heather’s lifestyle and goals
- 02:30 – Heather hopes to get help sticking with a nutrition program
- 05:00 – Different nutrition plans Heather has tried
- 09:36 – Working night shift as a nurse makes nutrition difficult
- 11:22 – Heather expects to eat ‘perfectly’ even while working overnight
- 13:30 – Important to assess whether expectations are realistic
- 15:03 – What would ‘success’ look like for night shifts?
- 20:09 – Setting up a good sleep environment
- 22:40 – Heather’s challenges with logging her food
- 27:40 – Plant-based protein is an option if struggling with protein
- 29:10 – Nutrition tips for planning to get pregnant